Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Speaking of funny...

Doooo you want to know what my dream job is?

Well, I'm not going to tell you- not until the end, anyway.

Once upon a time, there was a girl who played things very cool- the motto is to never let anyone see you freak out or panic, because then you fall apart. The only bad thing about that is that you miss out on a lot of things, and people only see glimpses of you.

OK, so this story gets better; it's not sappy. I promise. See above, right?
The moral of the story is: (drumroll) Find a way to release who you really are without losing your shit, or at least temper it so that you can cope with the funny, ridiculous, absurd, boring, sad things that happen to everyone.

Some people are really sweet; they find the human condition so unifying that they can't help but feel for people.

I am not one of these people.

Some people are gifted with music, so they connect with people based on some extraordinary talent where people are moved beyond belief and they just gravitate to these people.

Still not me. But I do like music, and I am crazy jealous of these people. I hate them. Moving on...


Some people take a dark or humorous, or darkly humorous situation and try and laugh (and make others laugh) to connect with people.

That's me.

Laughing is my favorite. It's ridiculous. I laugh in the worst situations. It's embarrassing... and did I mention that I have a loud laugh? And when it comes to dudes, I am a sucker for someone who can keep me in stitches. But you want to know what is better than laughing?

Making others laugh. OK so back to above: Never lose your cool is the first part, but the next part is laughing about it. OK bad shit happens, but laughing about it is paramount, and then retelling what happened to people and having them cry so hard from laughing is extra.. but in the best possible way. When something weird or crappy happens to me... I get disappointed, but then I bounce back and think, "Uhhh no one is going to believe this story once I'm done with it."

Sooommmetimes people surprise you, let you down, pull the wool over your eyes, hang you out to dry, wear you out (i.e. your kids, or students in my case on some days), but that's not the point. The point is in the storytelling; how do you spin it?

OK, so as promised, my dream job... I want to tell stories someday for a living. Not an author; no, that is too ambitious for me, and quite frankly I could never diagram a story out in such detail. No, my dream job would be to write for television. In my opinion, you have to earn the right to write the character, and the talent is in the choice... so if all of my day-to-day endeavors get me one step closer to earning the right to write someday, I'm OK with that.

And who knows? Maybe some of you will find yourself in my stories...

1 comment: